Tough Challenges Test Creativity
Sybron Endodontics asked for Nectar’s help to research, design, engineer, and brand a new diagnostic device for root canal procedures. It had to be user friendly, utilize an enhanced display for close-in readability and procedural tracking, employ informative and aesthetic brand packaging, and ensure a positive patient outcome.
Nectar’s Success: Experience-/Process-based Solutions
- A graphic user interface was developed, an iconic representation of the root canal procedure: The “V” represents the root canal while the file is visually represented as it travels down to the apex of the root.
- During the procedure, the dental surgeon may retract the file and a graphic “carrot” is left behind indicating the last position. Their patent mentions this as one of the unique aspects of the new design as a process improvement.
- To get a real life view of the dentist’s needs, dentists were interviewed and root canal procedures documented.
- Nectar also developed packaging concepts reinforcing the brand attributes as the latest in dental technology.
- Consumables packaging delineated the various sizes and materials used in the root canal procedure.
Positive Results Exceed Expectations
- Enhanced usability was the key to the design: it incorporated a large, easy to read display along with a remote display unit to bring critical information closer to the dentist while performing critical steps in a root canal procedure.
- This product exceeded all sales goals when introduced and won the 2004 IDEA award.